Thursday, December 4, 2008

i'll miss you.



My sweet grandpa, Jackson W. Moffitt passed away last night, December 3, 2008, in his home.


We got the news late in the evening & rushed to the hospital where my grandma & 3 of their 4 sons (including my Dad) where waiting with their wives. He was already gone when we arrived, but we were still able to say our goodbye's, share some special memories of him & have a family prayer. Needless to say, it was a very hard night for all of us.

My Grandpa is amazing person. A strong example to his family. A good father. A loving grandfather. A devoted husband. A great-grandfather. A war veteran. A brilliant mind. An excellent dancer. A loving companion to his sweet wife and an inspiring member of the church.
 He was married to my grandmother, Val, for 61 years & their love was the stuff of romance novels. I remember going over to her house one summer afternoon a few years ago to officially have her tell me her life's story, a conversation I will always treasure (if you haven't done it-do it!) We spent the whole day talking. She told me things about her life & about her marriage with my grandpa that I had never heard. She told me how in love they were, how happy he made her. How he wasn't necessarily the person her parent's had hoped she would marry; his father had left him & his mother at a young age and they were very poor, while her dad was successful and owned the only gas station in town. But, despite everyone else, she followed her heart and she told me she has never once regretted it. They had a beautiful marriage. He took her dancing on the weekends. She cooked him all his favorite meals. He built her anything she asked him to & she painted him pictures of his favorite mountains. The adored one another. Even on the night he passed away, my grandma had just returned from the grocery store with his favorite candy bar in tow. They were always thinking of each other.

Although I know he is in a better place, although I know it was his time to go, I will miss so many things about my grandpa. I will miss his sweet laugh & grin. I will miss him teasing us and joking with us. Jon & I were over at their house just a few nights ago & one of the last things he did before we left was tease Jon about the fact that he hadn't shaved his beard that day. I knew him as a happy, sweet, kind & gentle man. I will miss him helping us build things. He was a talented craftsman. He helped me build my science project in the 6th grade & I remember being amazed by everything he knew. I will miss his sweet influence in my life & his good advice. He taught me to serve others & to be thoughtful. I can still remember all the times he randomly brought me & my Mom roses & he never missed a Valentines Day. He treated all of his girls like queens & all of us; his family, his children, his grandchildren, knew how much he loved us.

Being in that emergency room with him & my grandma was such a special experience for me. I will never forget how it felt to see her with him. It really made me realize how precious marriage is & how important love is. I feel honored to have seen my grandma share some tender thoughts about her husband & watch her stand at his bedside and stroke his face or admire his "silky hair" that she loved so much. She will miss him & so will we.

Grandpa, thank you for all you have taught me. I am honored to have been your lady J. I love you so much.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. What a sweet sweet post. I thought it was so great that you spent time one day talking to your grandma about her life story. Just a great idea that I need to act on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your entire family. I dont think anything can compare to loosing someone you have known since the day you were born. Stay strong and never forget the amazing gifts and love he brought into your life.

    (you write so beautifully)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting here crying at this sweet tribute to your grandpa. What a beautiful person. His legacy and goodness just capture what life's all about. Thanks for the reminder.

    Love you and hope you're holding up ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute! I feel like I know your Grandpa after reading this and he seems like a wonderful man. Imagine how devastating this stage of life would be if you didn't have the gospel and knowledge that you will see him again someday! Let us know if you guys need anything! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like one amazing person and I can only imagine how blessed you must feel to have had him in your life. I know what it's like to lose a grandparent that you love so much and I can tell you that remembering him in all the ways you can is only going to help. I had a friend tell me once that my Grandma is up in heaven hanging out with my unborn children and I hold onto that thought everyday and it makes me smile to know that my children already know their great grandma... I wish you the best and love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I loved meeting him at your wedding, I could tell that he and your grandma really had something special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your Gramps...What a great tribute you wrote about him though! Its hard but it gets better...stay strong cute girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. He seems like a very sweet man. I could not remember for the longest time how I found your blog. I am glad I remembered. You are seriously such a great writer. I also wanted to thank you for being so nice in the ward. I am not the most outgoing person, and you were always so kind and friendly. You made me feel welcome. I miss you in our ward. We should get together some time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry. You know that our thoughts and prayers are with you, and thank you for posting this so that everyone else can see what a great man he was.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jess Im so sorry. That was such a sweet tribute to him and his great life. Let me know what I can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for you and your families loss. Please let me know if I can help in any way. It sounds like he was a wonderful man so I'm sure you can find peace knowing that he is in heaven with all those before him who he loves so very much.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!