Thursday, April 9, 2009

migraine city.

That's where I've been lately.

And it sucks.

Any time I don't get a restful, full night of sleep, I wake up with a dreaded migraine. Usually the migraine lasts all day, and you can find me with my head down, rubbing my temples & asking to JUST DIE ALREADY! around 3 pm. Seriously, migraines are the worst.

I've always been somewhat of an insomniac, but lately I've taken things to a whole new level. I can't sleep...haven't been able to for the past week & a half. I don't know what's going on with me, but I toss and turn (seriously, good thing G is a deep, deep sleeper) 100 times until I finally find a position that is somewhat comfortable for the next 5 minutes until I need to turn again. It's torture.

As a bonus to the fact that I can't find a comfortable position, my brain decided to make it even more impossible for me to sleep, so it never shuts up. I think about everything; my life, my job, school, books I've read, quotes I've heard, things I need to do, things I want to remember, things I want to write about, song lyrics, poems, things I'm worried about, conversations I've had, the fact that I'm not asleep yet, etc, etc, etc. My brain is like one of those creepy self-help CD's G has on his I-POD (Tony Robbins anyone?). The words just keep coming and coming and coming and coming & I can't find the pause button.

Well, last night I'd finally had enough and decided to just go ahead and take a benadryl in an effort to knock myself out & finally get some much needed rest. I took a pill at 8 pm, hoping to be out at 8:30, but things didn't exactly work out that way. Somehow, I found myself standing in the hallway, head down, starting at the floor around 9pm. I have no idea how I got from the couch to the hallway, because I have no recollection of standing or walking, but all of the sudden, there I was, standing in the dark, staring at the floor. I then vaguely remember ending up in the bathroom (head down) for a solid 5 minutes until I somehow finally made it to bed where I collapsed in my clothes, completely sideways on the bed, until G finally came & turned me around. Speaking of G, where was he when I was standing at random places in our house, swaying slowly & running into walls? I have no idea. My guess is that he was sitting on the couch laughing uncontrollably (which is exactly what I would do in his position). Before I took the pill, I made G promise to carry me to bed if I fell asleep on the couch (for this exact reason) but he obviously failed to uphold his pinky promise.

And if you are wondering if I finally got a solid 8 hours of restful sleep, my answer to you is NO. I was out for maybe 3 hours and then I was up again. Up in the middle of the night, tossing and turning some more and now thinking about the fact that I had taken a benadryl that wouldn't wear off for a solid 24 hours (I'm a light weight when it comes to those suckers) and would be drowsy & dead the next day for nothing. And I am.

So please friends, this is my cry for help. I am extremely sleep deprived (and slightly drugged) right now & can't be held accountable for my actions. If you find me standing on your porch, or in a public restroom, or in the street...head down, eyes closed, please be a friend and help. I know it will be tempting to just sit back and watch (much like my husband chooses to do) but I really don't want to end up asleep in a hallway somewhere.

Thank you & goodnight.

9 comments:

  1. oh jess, I'm so sorry. What a nightmare (no pun intended). I'm sorry that you can't sleep - it's the worst! I wish I had some advice for you, but all I can offer is my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry-I really want to find you like that and laugh. I just might stalk you today. :) But really, I am sorry for your lack of sleep & crazy mind ramblings (been there) & migraine. No fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am sorry!! lack of sleep/migraine? i dont think there is a more painful combination.
    i dont know if you are in to herbal healing things, but at whole foods there is a tea by Yogi Tea that is meant to help you unwind and sleep naturally-maybe you could check that out so you dont end up wandering around like a zombie anymore :)
    Let me know if you decide to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, wow. The same thing happens to me if I take Tylonol nighttime cold medicine. Except I was sitting on my couch, holding the remote and slowly, very slowly falling over. And my loving husband did the exact same thing yours did - just sat and watched the show.
    Anyway, have you tried Tylonol PM? I take 1 (just 1) at least twice a week when I'm prego to get some sleep. Anything that's OK when you're with child can't be too bad for you, right?
    I'm so sorry, and I hope you feel OK to rock and roll all night w/us at dinner/shopping!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woman... oh how i love you. And i would give anything to have seen you standing around the house randomly... probably would have peed my pants. I am sorry that you feel aweful all the time though. wish i had some helpful advice. i give love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sympathy goes out to you.. I've experienced the sleepless nights and mighraine filled days many of times and it totally SUCKS! My best friend when this happens is Unisom.. But, if you got knocked out with a benadryl I probably wouldn't take a Unisom. Who knows where you would end up?? Maybe like me head down in the bathtub the last time (ever!) I took an Ambien. I hope it goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jess! Long time no see! (or speak!) I was blog stalking today and came across yours :)

    I have had trouble sleeping for years. I hate taking sleep aids because I feel so tired the next day.

    But...I started taking Melatonin a couple years ago (not every night, just a few nights a week) to help me sleep & I love it. It's a natural hormone, and is just over-the-counter. I get the Nature Made brand (just @ the grocery store). Just an idea!

    Take Care!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you can't sleep! I have to admit though that the visual of you just sleeping in the hallway is pretty hilarious. I actually have been having some insomnia lately as well. If you find a solution, let me know. Even Tylenol Pm isn't working for me.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!