Tuesday, June 2, 2009

a tale of a husband & his allergies.

Once upon a time, husband was allergic to bananas. His mother tried to feed them to him when he was a bb, but husband barfed them up every time. Ever since then, he has gone through his life banana-less and never considered giving bananas a second chance.

But a few years ago, a funny thing happened and husband began to notice that some of his allergies were changing, morphing, and even disappearing altogether. We were delighted to watch him enjoy foods he previously couldn't/wouldn't eat. At the top of his list of newly discovered (favorite) foods are bananas. After he discovered he could eat them without barfing them up, he started slicing them into his cereal, eating them for breakfast and enjoying hot caramel sundaes with bananas on top. Mmmmm...it's been a lovely journey.
Bananas are my favorite fruit & I was thrilled to introduce him to all the wonderful banana pleasure's he has been missing during his 29 years of life. We've started simple, but this weekend, I plan to step it up a notch and venture into the land of banana bread.

Any one have a favorite, perfect, tried & true recipe?
I've never made it before.
Husband & I thank you very much.

10 comments:

  1. LoL that is so funny that he never tried stuff again just 'cause he has a reaction when he was a baby. Did you know most babies grow out of allergic reactions by the time they're like 8? Too funny! Luckily I'm not allergic to anything 'cause I would absolutely die without bananas for sure! He's definitely been missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one! But not with me! Remind me and I'll email it to you! Yum, love banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll send it over. Doesn't look like your picture. Is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one and it's the best! I make it all the time for my family. I'll email it to you...you guys will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the banana bread recipe from the better homes and gardens cookbook, then after it's cooked i spray parkay spray butter which has 0 calories and sprinkle a handful of brown sugar on top. If I have the Carmel Spice from P. Chef I sprinkle that on prebaking and post baking and it is delicious! If you need the exact recipe you can em: or call me and I'd be happy to pass it along. Darrell, btw, is allergic to bananas but the girls and I really enjoy banana bread and sometimes he suffers to have a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only one suggestion, I use a recipe from BH&G but i substitute the oil for applesauce. It makes it really yummy and more healthy... if that's what you're looking for. :) Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also use applesauce... It is a great & gummy substitute for oil. I have a recipe I always use & love... Lemme know if you'd like it:) glad to hear that husband & wife now enjoy bananas together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a yummy substitute... Not gummy:) stupid iPhone predictive text:/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for no more allergies to bananas. Kate LOVES them! I have a recipe that I can email to you. I love it! That way you can have tons of different recipes to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is how my sis-in-law makes it and IT'S DELICIOUS.

    3 bananas, well mashed
    1 c. sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    2 c. flour (1 c. can be whole wheat)
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mash bananas in mixing bowl. Add sugar, eggs and oil, mixing well each time. Sift dry ingredients together and add to banana mixture. Pour in greased 5x9 loaf pan and bake 55-60 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!