Monday, September 21, 2009

saying goodbye.




I have been trying to decide what I want to say about my last brother leaving on a mission for the next 2 years. I have been thinking about it a lot. Part of me wants to tell you about the kind of friend he has always been to me. I want to talk about that time I was faced with packing up my entire house by myself in one day and feeling overwhelmed with the task, I decided to call my little brother to see if he would join. "Yup" he said enthusiastically and he was at my front door the next morning. We spent the next 12 hours laughing hysterically as we boxed up my life and strategically cut out funny portions of the newspaper we were using to pack with and taping the pictures to the tops of the cardboard boxes for the movers to enjoy. I want to tell you that that day, G came home expecting me to be exhausted and grumpy and was instead glad to hear me say, "Scotty came over and helped, so it was a blast" And it really was.

That is what he has done for me, made every moment better because he was there to laugh along with me.

Most of you will think this is beyond cheesy, but I have never had a better friend than him. And as I drove him down to Provo with my parents, I couldn't help but feel nothing but excited for him and proud of who he is. I am excited for everyone who will get to be uplifted by him the way I have always been. I can't even begin to imagine the good that he will do.

9 comments:

  1. Jess I love that boy too. I was describing him to Luke and I said the same stuff you did- he is the most happy funny boy. He makes everyone around him happy. He will be such a good missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing cheesy about that. What a sweet tribute to your special little brother. Hope the first week has gone well for him.

    p.s. please teach me fashion/beauty lessons. You're SO beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately nothing cheesy about that tribute! Little brothers are special people! I know mine has always been there for me and has never ceased to make me laugh! I love little brothers! Before you know it yours will be back home and in the meantime I bet he'll be there for you and make you laugh in letters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe sad day! But he'll do great. Crazy to think these little boys are leaving though... I'm already freakin out for when my bro Greg leaves (which isn't until May, but still freakin out)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't feel like he really left. The goodbye was so different than any other missionary leaving. He is an awesome brother! I am so excited for him to get to California and have amazing experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet sweet brother & post. I LOVE just feeling how close you are with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was the sweetest post, Jess. :) Your brother sounds like a really great guy, and how lucky for him too, to have a sister who thinks so highly of him & supports him. Not cheesy at all. I love hearing of close-knit families :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You write so beautifully. Aren't we lucky to have him in our lives forever! I cry everyday a little because I see things around the house that make me think "oh darn where is he". I miss him so much but am also excited for all the new people that will get to know him and love him. Now I have a headache from crying.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!