Monday, August 23, 2010

we are having a...

last thursday evening, g & i slipped away to fetal fotos to check on our little babe & perhaps find out what we were having. neither one of us could stop laughing all throughout the ultrasound as we watched our little one kick, squirm and suck it's tiny thumb. we were instantly in love.

when it came time to check between the legs, we closed our eyes & didn't let the ultrasound tech tell us anything about what she was seeing. after the appointment, we had her seal the gender pictures in a separate envelope & then write "boy" or "girl" on a sheet of paper and seal that away as well. we drove straight to a local bakery and asked them to bake us a cake that would tell us what we were having by using either blue or pink frosting on the inside. we handed over the envelope and left, giddy with anticipation.

the next 24 hours were brutal as i paced around my house with that sealed envelope of the gender pictures and thought about opening it 100 million times. i promised g i wouldn't, though, so i didn't (he was shocked) and on friday night we celebrated with a little party with our families to cut the cake and find out what we we're having....
this is what g & i did while we waited for everyone to arrive 
(looked for cracks & signs of blue or pink frosting!)...
we bought blue & pink plates and had everyone cast their vote by choosing a plate. i have always thought this little nugget was a girl & g originally chose girl as well, but switched to boy at the last second 
(to rival me, of course)...
 and pretty much everyone else voted for boy. this is a picture of me yelling out "you are all wrong! it's a girl!"
 and then we cut the cake....

and guess what....
 the frosting was pink!

19 comments:

  1. Ahhh! What a cute way to find out the gender~ How awesome that you just knew it was a girl, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO cute!! I am so excited for you two and all of your family and everyone! I'm just excited! I know one thing for dang sure, that girl is going to be one of the cutest girls EVER! Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats probably the cutest thing i've ever heard! congrats on your little girl! its so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the cutest thing I have ever heard! What an exciting way to find out! You're having a girl!!!!! Yay!!!! I hope you opened the envelope and checked just to make sure the bakery wasn't mistaken. lol. Congratulations!!! You're having a little Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! Can't wait to meet that little (and I'm sure) blonde beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And by the way - your instincts are always right. Why? Because you're a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is the CUTEST way to find out!! Congratulations! That's super exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the cutest idea. I loved the play by play and am so proud of myself that I didn't even cheat and check the bottom first! Congrats on baby girl. That's so exciting! There's just something so sweet about baby girls. She's sure to be a stunner. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I didn't wait 'til the birth to find out what my babies were- I'd for SURE steal this idea! SO CUTE!! Can I just say girls are so much fun!! I actually really wanted a boy to begin with, until I had Sara then I wanted another girl!! And I'd love to have another girl next!! I grew up in the middle of three brothers, then moved into a neighborhood with only boys my age, then married into Ryan's family of four boys and only one girl. As much as I love all of them (as I'm sure you love your bros) it's so much fun to finally have girls of my own and I can't wait for even more girl fun to come!

    P.S. Can I just say I love that pic of your baby bump (I left a comment) I know we haven't seen each other in ages but I feel like I know you quite well through your blog and I am SO excited for you to have your baby! It really is the funnest thing ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously I wish I was you with all of your creativeness! (not sure if that is a word) As has already been said, cutest way ever to find out what you are having, and girls are super super fun! I am excited you are having a girl so I can make you a fun present! So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is amazing!!! Congrats to you both!!! You guys will have a beautiful baby girl!!!
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess! We are so excited for you to have a little baby girl! Congratulations!!! We couldn't be happier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Jess! Yay for little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  14. pretty sure i am dying. i have heard of this idea before but never seen is done so cute! next baby, i'm doing this. FOR SURE!
    so excited for you! congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. jess,

    first off, congratulations!!! I am so happy for you guys, and can't wait for you to be a cute mommy! You are an amazing person, and I love reading about your life (and all of your creative ideas... especially this one)!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love love love love love this idea. i loved it when you told me about it.. and now after seeing the pics i love it even more. dont hate when i copy you. Its out of love. haha. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love that little munchkin

    ReplyDelete
  17. See!!!!!!!!!! I told you!!!! They told me they could definitely tell and it was a girl too. CONGRATS LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you. : ) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for little girls! That is soo exciting! She will be such a doll! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just keep thinking about how cute this is and your happy faces!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!