Monday, May 9, 2011

let's have a momversation, shall we?

The tiny misses and I have hit a road bump. And I want answers! So if you have the answers, please read on...

Ev likes to sleep. And usually putting her to sleep is easy peasy. Swaddle, binky, soother and goodbye.  I leave while the soother is still lullaby-ing and she falls asleep all on her own, the little love. In the past, she took 3 naps a day; one 2 hour nap and two 1 1/2 hour naps. And she woke up happy. And I was happy. And we all lived happily ever after.

Except now, that's not happening. For the past few weeks the little dear will not stay asleep. She still falls asleep on her own just fine, but 40 minutes later, she's up and she's sad. Sometimes I can get her to fall back asleep by repeating the binky/soother step, but sometimes, not so much. And I question if that's what I should be doing? Should I continue going in to comfort her and turn her sleep items back on or leave her on her own to fall back asleep by herself, even if she's crying? If I go in every time to help her sleep again am I just reinforcing the idea that she can't fall asleep without the binky/soother combo? Do I take those away? That seems a little harsh (it's not like I'm nursing her to sleep or anything-can't she have her bink and seahorse?!)

And why is she waking up in the first place?! Girlfriend is a good sleeper, she sleeps 10 solid hours at night without a peep, so why all these issues during the day? Do I assume it's a hunger problem? Could it be that my milk is running low and she wakes up super early from her nap because she is hungry? Does that mean I should get her up and feed her? Could it be a growth spurt?

Do I keep our schedule the same and continue to try to get her to go back asleep and hope she grows out of it or do I drop a nap and start trying to just do 2 naps a day (that's what my Mama says) instead of 3. I'm not sure how to make that work, because we have been on a eat/play/sleep cycle since day 1 and she consistently gets tired and fussy 2 hours after her feedings.

Pretty much, I'm just confused. How about you just tell me what to do, okay?! Ready, set, go...

7 comments:

  1. Emma and I had the same, same struggle. Babywise told me that she was going through a growth spurt and needed to be fed and that is why she was waking up. I tried this and it really just messed up her schedule even more. My Pediatrician told me that she didn't need that much sleep during the day because she was sleeping so much at night. Emma also was sleeping 10-11 hours a night from the time she was one month old.

    We eventually moved to two naps a day and that worked for us. I tried to keep her up a little bit longer in the morning than usual (about 30 minutes) and also tried to keep her up longer between her first and second nap. I then started moving her bed time up over the next few months as well. At this time she was going down for the night at 9 and we slowly moved it to 8 and then to 7. Her whole life, Emma has woken up at the same time every morning regardless of when she went to bed the night before so this solution gave her less time to sleep during the day but more sleep at night. I nursed her until she was 10 months old so her sleeping longer at night did not decrease my milk supply. I also put black-out shades up her her room which helped her sleep longer during the day.

    We have been on the two nap a day schedule since she was about 4 months old. She has been sleeping 12-13 hours a night and taking two 1 1/2 to 2 hour naps a day, and she just now is changing to 1 nap a day. I can tell you that switching from 3 to 2 and then 2 to 1 naps a day has been one of the harder adjustments we have had to go through so good luck!

    I say don't take away the binky yet. When Emma wakes up I usually let her cry/fuss on her own for 10 minutes and then I go in and give her her binky and blanket and give her 10 more minutes. If she is still fussing I assume that something else is bothering her besides being tired.

    This is what has worked for us so hopefully it will help!

    Sorry for the novel.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess,

    The first thing I thought when I started reading your post was to go to 2 naps a day instead of 3. I'm not a professional mom by any means but what I have learned in my 2.5 years of parenting is that babies change and with them changing means schedules have to change. Every change I have went through sleeping changes(from 3 naps to 2, from 2 naps to 1) they were all a transition that took a few days and then suddenly they are on that schedule and things feel normal again. I have been through a lot of frustrating phases (like when my son decided he absolutely would not nap in his room. Period!) I was freaking out because he would sleep in the chair in the living room but if I would move him to his room he would wake up instantly and be mad I was trying to put him in there. So I figured Hey, if he is taking good naps in the living room Ill just let him be. So after about three weeks of this I tried the bedroom again and he went down just fine! So kids are finicky and needy and cant talk so you just never know exactly what they need or want. It is hard but every time it is stressful I just remember "this to shall pass". Just remember that you are the Mom and that you do what you need to do to keep your child safe and happy!

    Crista

    ReplyDelete
  3. She might be starting to teeth. That always messes my kids up. I didn't start letting my kids cry to sleep until they were 5 or 6 months old. I would wait and see how things go for another week or two then switch things up . I don't know. good luck. Every kid is a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 naps instead of 3 is probably what she's moving to soon anyways! sadly, 3 a day does not last long! Also - I let my princess cry it through once. just once and it never happened again. just what i did:) does not make it right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, its very hard to know what to do about the sleeping thing in general, but what I would do is try to keep her awake a little longer between naps, like 30 minutes or so and see if that helps. Maybe she's not quite tired enough which is why she wakes up after 40 minutes. Also, I'm not sure at what point you're feeding her, but maybe move it a little closer to nap time??? Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with whoever made the first comment - and they really don't keep the 3 naps a day schedule for very long, so that's my guess. And sometimes when they make changes, you have to try something new every few days to see what works. Babies are soooo much trial and error! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, when you said your mom said she's ready for two naps...I agreed. "mother knows best" :) BUT!! You are the mother, and I honestly truely think the best advice is... your own instinct!! Don't get me wrong, it's always good asking for advice, but I know there are so many people who raise their kids based off a book, and I just think it's sad. Every baby is way too different to have one book that is right for all of them. No one knows your baby better than you, so you really need to trust your instinct. Even if the "experts" or "books" say not to do something, if you feel like it's right for you and your baby, then do it! :) So I'm sure whatever you decide to do, it will all turn out right in the end. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!