Tuesday, June 7, 2011

adventures in shopping.

I've been making a lot of runs back and forth to the Gateway over the past few weeks in order to update my wardrobe and welcome summer (Summer! Welcome! May I pour you a glass of lemonade?!). And it's been a bit daunting in some ways, since I can't figure out my sizes now that I'm a Mama (you, too?). I mean, I had a baby. And now I'm nursing that baby. And my boobs are, well, let's just not go there. Things are different these days...I mean I thought I was a medium, but now I guess I'm a small except sometimes I'm a large??

And then I bought these shoes. These beautiful, perfect shoes that proceeded to fall apart in front of my adoring eyes 48 hours after I purchased them and boy, was that a buzz-kill. "Don't wimp out on me, shoes!!" I pleaded, but they simply couldn't keep it together and now they are dead and I am wondering what in the world $39 can buy a person these days, because apparently, not a pair of shoes that can survive dinner and a movie with a few steps in between. Whatever.

The same day I purchased those sad shoes, I also happened to experience a Christmas miracle, so perhaps let's discuss that! You see, once upon a time I owned this pair of jeans that I loved more than any girl has ever loved a pair of jeans before. And they were tight (but not too tight) and dark (but not too dark) and they made my husband slap my butt when I walked past. Which is important, don't you think? When one finds a pair of jeans like these jeans, one wears them into oblivion and loves them eternally. Am I right?

Which is what I did. And which is why, when they died, I tried to immediately re-purchase them only to find out that they had been discontinued! Forever! And I really questioned life in that moment.

Flash forward an entire year and I am browsing Urban Outfitters for a new pair of jeans, when into my hands falls the exact pair I had once owned over a year ago. I didn't believe it at first, it seemed too good to be true, but alas, there they were. MY pair of dark denim beauties! And there was only one pair remaining! One pair that had been haphazardly shoved under a pile of full-priced denim threads and forgotten, or perhaps hidden?- who knows. All I knew was that this moment was meant to be. Everything was there, the denim-dark, the tightness-just right, only one factor remained-the size. So, I closed my eyes tight and braced myself for the worst-only to peak at the label slowly and find that they were, in fact, MY SIZE!!

Your astonished at this point, I know, but it gets better, because moments later I would discover that these jeans, these beautiful, perfect jeans were also listed for 50% off. Yes, that's right. No more than $20, my sweethearts were. And it was in that moment that I cried real tears (No, I didn't. That was a lie. Can we still be friends?)

Obviously, I bought them. And obviously, I'm wearing them. And obviously, my husband was just as thrilled when I called him with the news. "A Christmas Miracle!" he proclaimed! Or maybe it was, "Jess, quit spending my money"-I'm fuzzy on the details-all I know is he certainly did slap my butt that night when I put them on.

I am Jessica and I have faith that me and my jeans can be together forever. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. As usual, love every word you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! You crack me right up! Hooray for your Christmas miracle butt slappin jeans! Way cute shoes btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take the shoes back! I hope I don't have to tell you that but that you've already been to the store and now have an additionl $39 to spend elsewhere!
    I'm so happy your denim beauties fit even post bb and to find them at 50% off, what a lucky girl! Someone was indeed watching out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh trust me, shoes are being returned!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!