Tuesday, September 6, 2011

so long, sweet summer.







summer is over.

i can feel it in the sudden change in the air, in the breeze quietly moving the trees and coaxing the rain from the sky. there is a certain feeling that fall brings with her when she comes, and this morning, when i woke up, i felt it. the sky smells like fall. it smells like wet pavement and possibility. it smells like apple cider and a full moon to lie under. it smells like pumpkin spice and evening lamplight. it smells delicious.


we had a good summer. we swam in cool water and sat on the hot pavement to warm ourselves from the inside out. we ate creamies on the lawn and got shakes from neilsens. we went to the cabin and roasted marshmallows over the fire. we watched the storm clouds roll in over the valley and fell asleep to thunder overhead. we went for walks under the hot summer sun, our bodies damp and tired. we got tan-lines and sunburns and fries from the burger place down the street. we watched fireworks from the patio and spilled snow-cones down our arms. we grilled burgers and tossed salads and sat our tiny baby on the prickly lawn to feel the grass in her chubby fingers and against her naked thighs. we washed the sunscreen off of her at night and tossed her into the sky in the afternoon.

we fell in love with her. and with each other.
and mostly with this little life we are leading above the city, but under the trees.
we fell in love with that, too.

*pictures from our last summer getaway-a weekend at the cabin with family.

6 comments:

  1. I can't get over what a great photographer you are. I can't stop staring at all of these pictures!! Thanks for posting them, that one with me and Ella got me a little teary :) we had a great weekend with you guys! Let's do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Evie's hat collection!! It makes me want to wear a hat.....maybe. I don't do hats. Such great pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I wish it was turning to fall here. It's still a million degrees. Enjoy wearing boots and layers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously, that baby of yours is beautiful and so are you! i loved the pictures and felt all of the descriptions. you are a fantastic writer. hooray for fall days making their appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE her cute owl hat! I may need to have my friend make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. True. You NAILED it. I smelled the same smell that morning and you put words to it.

    I'm trying not to betray summer and say I'm excited for fall, but secretly, I totally am. :)

    Ev's hat-I love. She is crazy adorable!

    Impressive tower Erik. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!