Just as I cracked open the book and began to somewhat freak out, G breezed into the room, took the textbook from my hands and settled in next to the computer to literally take the entire test with me. He stayed next to me for that hour and looked up every question I didn't know (yes, it was open book) which, considering my study habits, was pretty much every single question.
We finished just as the clock ran out and call it pathetic, but as I hit "submit" I felt completely overwhelmed with gratitude and love for him. Sometimes I get caught up in what the world says "being in love" is. We see it in every movie; they tell us it's flowers, over-the-top romantic gestures, expensive gifts, non-stop excitement and butterflies that never go away. Well, G isn't the most romantic man in the world and he thinks flowers are a waste of money and although I am still head-over-heels in love with him, I can't say I still feel the initial excitement I did when I met him almost 4 years ago.
But last night, as we finished that test, it suddenly occurred to me that I had just seen an act of selfless love. The fact that G cared enough about my feelings, my stresses, my obstacles to literally sit next to me and help me with every single question...that was love.
And next time he forgets to get a gift, or open a door, or plan something romantic I am going to remind myself that he shows me he loves me every day in the little things he does to make my life better and easier. He cares enough to be there for me when it REALLY counts.
And that's love.
this reminds me of that tender one legged lamb...he was so beautiful. he went through so much in his young life and still pressed on. never give up little soldier.
ReplyDeletelol.
ReplyDeletelove that little one-legged lamb. sweet fawn.
budder that is soo cute!! I say we get together this week!
ReplyDeleteAwe, this post made my day. What a sweetie. I love finding those small acts within each day that show true love :) even if it's picking some food out of your teeth (not that my hunny does that... gross. ;))
ReplyDeleteI love this! I love your honesty, and his sweet act! So many times I hear people say how they still get butterflies when they're with their husbands and I just think... reall?! It's so nice to hear an honest very happily married person state the truth!
ReplyDeleteI love this and totally agree with you. BK isn't much of a romancer, either and sometimes I'm sad about it, but he's consistently kind and selfless and that's the stuff that really counts. I love that you documented this. I need to do more of that. Love you.
ReplyDeleteCUTE Jess!! P.S. being new to this whole blog thing I didn't even see your comment like a month ago when you said you were going to be in Provo. A reunion is completely necessary tho!
ReplyDeleteDo you cry every time you write these posts? Because I get a little misty every time I read them. You put a smile on my face!
ReplyDeleteThanks, straight, white friend!
So cute! Dont you love hubbies {most of the time?!} PS..SO glad that Wes is FINALLY gone!! And didnt Jillian look DARLING last night?! Her clothes are amazing!
ReplyDeleteso cute! I need a husband....haha just kidding
ReplyDeleteJUST LOVED THIS POST.
ReplyDeleteI hate to bring this to reality, but if Cheating = Love I don't know what the world is coming too! Egads!
ReplyDeleteJ/k
You two are sweet! BTW I haven't thanked you for all the things you've done for us!
From now on everytime I think, "J should have invited us up for dinner," I'll remember all the little things you've done. J/K again. But only about the dinner part, I really am glad you've helped us out so much! We miss you guys! Can't wait to get our BBQ on for the last few weeks of good weather when we get back.
Long comment.
ha! i was waiting for SOMEONE to say something about that! so glad it was you!
ReplyDeleteonline class, open-book/open-note, don't even feel the least bit bad about it!
Such an awesome reminder this is.. Especially to the wives of those lovable Olsens! :)
ReplyDelete