Thursday, July 31, 2008

bloggity, blog, blog, blogger face.

Dear Fellow Bloggers,

I just turned to my friend, Monica, and said, "I think I'll stop blogging".

And she said, "What! Why?" and I told her "because it is serving no purpose". Let me explain.
I wanted to keep a blog so that I could chronicle these first few years of marriage with G. Like many of you, I wanted to bind it into a book someday for my kids & family to look at. It was my form of journaling (I SUCK at keeping a journal, which is odd, because I love to write). Anyways, can you imagine if your parents had kept a blog when they were newlyweds? And being able to read it as an adult? Unreal. I would DIE for the chance to see what they were up to at my age...What they thought, felt, did, who they were, etc...

That's why I started blogging.

But, now I feel torn for a few reasons. First of all, I feel like I am BORING EVERYONE TO DEATH when I write about our day-to-day activities. I want to keep track of what we are up to (for the journaling aspect of it all), but I honestly get embarrassed posting about what we did that weekend, because honestly, it is so boring (Honestly, I am being HONEST -I need to stop using that word). So, I feel pressure to only post about stuff that is interesting (or at least not completely UN-interesting) which means I rarely post about "What We Did This Weekend". So is it a journal? Not quite.

And also, I get nervous about saying too much & giving too many details, because I don't want some creeper to read about us & know things they shouldn't. And then I have to remind myself that like 4 people read this blog, anyways, but still, I wonder about that sometimes.

Also, I am a worrier. And I always worry that everything I write and everything I say is going to offend someone. I live in fear of offending others. It is the number one thing I wish I could get over. For example, me saying that I think a post about how G & I sat at home last weekend and played with our dogs is boring, will probably offend someone. So, I think to myself that I probably shouldn't say that. It is a vicious cycle.

Anyways, I am just wondering if this blog is really serving it's purpose? Maybe I should just start writing in my journal more, & let my chilies (chilies = my word for children) read that someday. At least then I won't have to worry about holding anything back. Or maybe, I should just make my blog private?

I am probably not making any sense right now. This is one of those boring posts that I write & really should not post. But oh well, I think I will post it. What are your thoughts about blogging? Is it serving it's purpose?

Love, J.

14 comments:

  1. You can't stop blogging, you will go through withdrawals (and so will I). Plus, just because you think your life is boring doesn't mean we do. I love the way you write and your funny way of saying things. please don't stop please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I don't think that your blogging is boring at all! I love seeing what you guys are up to, I think that is how a lot of bloggers are, they post about their lives. I would probably cry if I couldn't read about the life of my dearest budder!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Jessica,

    I would probably cry if you stopped blogging.

    That is all.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heavens.... DON'T STOP! Are you kidding me, I check your blog like every other day hoping you'll have posted so I can have something funny to read. And I personally like the blogs where people don't worry about offending others. I mean, it is your blog, so if it's offensive they shouldn't read it. You've certainly never offended me. It's so much fun to read something candid and honest and that's why I love your blog! But, I here ya on the boring weekends... ours (with the minor exception of last weekend) usually consists of take out and a movie, yard work, working on sunday lessons and no showers. real fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't stop - it's one of my best forms of entertainment! You seriously make me laugh so hard sometimes, so if nothing else, do it for us! You are such a worrier and overthinker - it is what it is - just a place to post some funny pictures and write stupid stuff - at least that's what it is for me :).
    Don't stop - I would die!

    ReplyDelete
  6. out of anyone... you should probably be the least worried about you blog boring. You could tell the most boring story and make it interesting ya know. You crack me up too! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duh Jmo HoFo... You better not stop blogging or I'll be TO'd!
    Love blair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dont delete it! I love it...its hilarious and not even close to boring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jess... Reading your blog is what inspired me to write one. I also love to write but you have such an interesting and entertaining way of telling about your life. Plus, I love your posts that are talking about the every day stuff. Since we don't see you all the time, it is so good to get to read your sense of humor on your blog. Although you may not think you are funny, you truly are.. It's a hidden talent that you haven't recognized yet! Love, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog makes people smile, you should keep it up just for that! It's a way for us to keep in touch and hear about what you and G are up to since our lives have gotten busy and the "Gang" doesn't get together as often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You crazy girl. Don't stop the blog. Like everyone else, I LOVE your blog and LOVE your clever sense of humor. I'm with Chels - if people are offended, they can choose not to read it. But, I do understand where you're coming from. I'm always wondering what's appropriate to write and appropriate to leave out because you never know who is creeping in on your life. I'm always tempted to go private but haven't taken the plunge yet. Anyway - write whatever you want. Just write. LOVE your writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jess i swear you began this whole world of wonderful blogging... if you stop... what will happen? you musn't no you musn't

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love reading your blog. You're an awesome and funny funny writer. It's our way of keeping in touch with people we don't see or talk to very often but care a lot about. I LOVE your blog! I say you keep going. I know what you mean about feeling like things get boring. I feel like I repeat myself over and over on my blog. Mostly because each day is pretty much a carbon copy of the day before it. But I think you do a great job of making the ordinary stuff special and interesting. Like all the time now when I open my fridge I think about your fridge post and wonder if I am happy with what is in there. Thanks for sharing all you've shared. I love hearing about you guys and all the little things that make you happy.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!