Monday, September 13, 2010

get well soon.

Today was one of the scariest and worst days I have had in a long time. This afternoon the pups and I were playing in my parent's front yard with my Mom and her dog when the neighbor's dog was let out and immediately ran straight for my little Jacky. He bit into his neck and lifted him completely off of the ground. It took me, my Mom, the dog's owner and a good 2 minutes to pry the dogs jaws open. All the while I just had to watch my pup hanging helplessly from another dog's mouth, not knowing what kind of damage he was doing.

When we finally freed him we took him straight to the animal hospital where he was sedated and taken care of. We are lucky that he is okay and will try to keep him comfortable as his neck heals.

I am grateful that we were able to keep the dog relatively still (he was a 70 lb. dog & my dog weighs 13 lbs.) while he was biting Jack because I am certain if he had been able to shake him at all he would have broken his neck. I am also certain that if he had gotten a hold of Toby instead of Jack, little 7 lb. Toby wouldn't have survived it.

It's funny how you think you love your pets, but then when something like this happens you realize what they really mean to you. Jack has been my little shadow & sidekick for the past 3 years and I was completely hysterical watching this happen to him. I know he is just a dog to everyone else, but to me he is completely irreplaceable.

Get well soon my little bubba. I love you.

This pic doesn't really show the damage very well, but it hurt him too badly for me to try to touch it at all to get a good angle.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Jess, I'm so sorry! Poor little fella...

    ReplyDelete
  2. poor little guy! Oh my gosh! I hope that other dog owner realizes what just happened and that his dog may not be very safe. Sheesh. Dan says that things like this are what they see most commonly in the Vet Hospital because dog owners (like Jana's neighbor) are irresponsible, but when you take your pet in immediately after it's attacked they have a really great chance of getting better. I'm sorry this happened to you. How sad and horrific. Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH! What a nightmare! So glad to hear the situation didn't turn out worse... Cute little pup. Hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!!! That is seriously so sad!! Those are your babies, I bet you were freaking out!! Anyone would. I am so sorry, poor thing. : (

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all teary for you. That had to be the worst moment ever. I'm SO glad he's ok and hope he heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is sooo sad! Im so sorry! I hope he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh! I'm sick thinking about poor jack :( I hope he recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how horrible! I have nightmares about this happening to my dear pets. I'm glad he's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that he is going to heal! D's parents had their dog attacked by a bigger dog (a rotty actually) and after many weeks of pain trying to recover their sweet Nikki passed away! It's so hard when something like this happens to a dear pet, devastating really! We'll be praying for your little guy and hoping he has a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh that is soo sad! i love that little jackeroo. I can't imagine watching that. Im sorry but im glad that it will all be ok. what a lame big dog that attacked him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that makes me so sad! I'm glad he's okay and hoping he gets better. I'm so sorry. Poor little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh ouch....Im so sorry!! I don't know what I would do of that happened to my little cash man. Give him lots of love. Im so glad he is ok

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, the thought! That would be my worst nightmare with Dexter. I'm so sorry and I'm so glad he's okay! Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your shout outs!